Sports and injuries go hand in hand. One of the most common body parts that get injured during contact sports is our mouth or oral structures. In Dubai, sports are very popular so looking for Dubai mouthguards is an important consideration for anyone playing contact sports.
Whether you are playing football and get tackled on the field, or your opponent shoots out his arm while collecting a rebound in basketball, you may get hit in your mouth getting your teeth knocked out during any sporting activity.
That is where mouthguards come into play. They are custom-made appliances worn over upper teeth to protect your teeth and other oral structures from injuries during sports.
This athletic equipment is vital in protecting your teeth from injuries in sports that commonly involve body contact, falls, blows, or flying equipment.
According to the data by the American Dental Association, the risk of injuries to your oral structures during sporting activities goes up to around 60% in the absence of mouthguards and hence is routinely recommended in more than 20 sports!!
Sports mouthguards in Dubai are designed in such a way that they cover only your upper teeth so that it is comfortable and easy to breathe. It fits well in your mouth protecting your teeth, gums, cheeks, and tongue from trauma during sports.
You may need mouthguards covering your upper and lower teeth both if :
- You have braces on your upper and lower teeth
- In contact sports like boxing, where blows to the jaws are more likely
Sporting activities where mouthguards are commonly needed include, but not limited to football, basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, boxing, skateboarding, gymnastics, mountain biking, etc.
TYPES OF MOUTHGUARDS
- Custom-made mouthguards: These are fabricated by a dentist at the dental office. A dentist takes the impression of your teeth and gums to create models. The mouthguards are created on these models to fit your teeth perfectly. Being customized to your teeth these are most comfortable and efficient. Most sportspeople choose to get their mouthguards customized. These are generally more expensive than the others but are best in terms of quality, fit, and protection.
- Boil and bite mouthguards: These mouthguards are made of
thermoplastic materials and are available in a preformed shape. You need to put these into hot water to soften them then bite down hard on them so that they get adapted to your teeth. After 20 seconds, you can take them out and put them in cold water once they’ve hardened. They provide a custom fit better than the stock mouthguards.
- Stock mouthguards: These are pre-formed mouthguards available over-the-counter and are ready to use. Though inexpensive, these are generally bulky, do not provide a good fit, and may make breathing difficult.
If you are an athlete or play contact sports regularly, it is worthwhile to get custom-fitted mouthguards done for the protection of your oral soft tissues and teeth from injuries.
Advanced types of mouthguards like Vacuum-formed mouthguards or pressure laminated mouthguards, provide the best protection and fit and worth every penny you spent as they pale in comparison to the loss of your precious teeth or the cost and time to get an injury treated.
Dr Hafsa Alidrissi is a dentist and a certified expert with Dubai mouthguards and can advise you on the best solution for your needs.
Buying mouthguards in Dubai is a straight forward and easy process. Come and speak with our team.
Please contact her now to book a consultation. Contact details can be found HERE.
You can find out more information about sports mouthguards HERE
More information can be found HERE Wikipedia.